8 Home Improvement Projects That Add Value to Your Home
When it comes to enhancing the value of your home, you don’t need to break the bank or get into huge debt. There are plenty of improvement projects that add value to your home. These can make a substantial difference within your budget! In this article, we’ll explore eight accessible and cost-effective home improvement ideas that can boost your property’s selling price.
First, some key points to add value:
- Typically, kitchens are the most expensive room in a house to renovate, according to the Houzz & Home renovation trends study for 2021 and 2022. (Houzz 2022)
- The study found that primary bathrooms are the second most expensive room in a house to renovate.
- Renovation is a wide practice among sellers but also among those who want to upgrade their homes. Almost half of homeowners renovated their houses in 2021. The median spend on these renovations stands at around $18.000 (Houzz 2022), but no worries! With these amazing suggestions, the makeover is for all budgets!
Curb Appeal Enhancements: The outside
They say first impressions matter, and this is especially true when it comes to your home. Curb appeal is what draws potential buyers in, and even if you’re not planning to sell, making your home visually appealing from the outside can bring a sense of pride and contentment.With these improvement projects that add value to your home, you and your family will have an incredible house!
- Landscaping: Start by taking a good look at your front yard. Are there overgrown shrubs, uninviting patches of dirt, or a lack of greenery? Landscaping doesn’t have to be extravagant. You can plant colorful flowers, trim overgrown bushes, and even add a small tree if your space allows. A well-maintained front yard not only looks beautiful but it will definitely boost the value of your home
- Fresh Paint: The exterior of your home is constantly exposed to the elements, leading to wear and tear. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for reviving your home’s appearance. Choose a color that complements your surroundings and gives your home a welcoming and fresh look.
- Upgrade the Front Door: Your front door is a focal point of your home’s exterior. Replacing or refinishing it can make a significant impact. Consider a stylish, energy-efficient door with enhanced security features. A new front door is like a warm handshake for your guests and potential buyers. This upgrade usually has a 73% of ROI (Hanley Wood Media Inc. 2020)
The kitchen is often considered the heart of the home. It’s a place where families gather, and it plays a pivotal role in your home’s resale value. The kitchen is well documented to be the most expensive renovation. Here are some tips for all kinds of budgets.
- Painted Cabinets: If your kitchen cabinets are looking a bit worn, a fresh coat of paint can work wonders. Choose a color that complements your kitchen’s style and your personal preferences. It’s a simple DIY project that can dramatically transform the space.
- Updated Countertops: If your budget allows, consider upgrading your countertops. Granite or quartz countertops are popular choices that offer durability and a modern aesthetic. If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, consider laminate or butcher block countertops.
- New Fixtures: Swapping out old, dated fixtures for new ones can give your kitchen a modern touch. New faucets, cabinet handles, and lighting fixtures can make a significant difference.
- Kitchen total remodeling: If you feel that your kitchen has finished its cycle, consider a total remodel. A totally new kitchen will be amazing for your family and for any potential buyer. Keep in mind that the budget, according to several studies, starts at $24,000, and they can go as far as you wish; the limit is your imagination!(Hanley Wood Media Inc. 2020)
The bathroom is another critical space when it comes to home value. A clean, stylish, and functional bathroom is a strong selling point.
- Fixtures and Vanity: Consider replacing outdated fixtures with more modern and water-efficient options. A stylish new vanity can become a centerpiece of your bathroom’s design.
- Updated Shower or Tub: If your shower or bathtub has seen better days, consider an upgrade. New tile, a stylish showerhead, or a deep soaking tub can be appealing features for potential buyers.
- Fresh Paint and Accessories: A fresh coat of paint in a calming, neutral color can brighten up your bathroom. Add some accessories like new towels, a stylish mirror, and some artwork to complete the look.
- Bathroom addition: If your house has the space and you have the possibility, adding a bathroom should be definitely considered. For sure will be something really interesting for possible future buyers and your family. Usually this kind of projects has a ROI about 54%. (Hanley Wood Media Inc. 2020)
Energy Efficiency Upgrades
Investing in energy-efficient upgrades not only makes your home more environmentally friendly but also reduces utility bills and can increase your home’s appeal to eco-conscious buyers.
- Windows: Old, drafty windows can be a major source of energy loss. Replacing them with energy-efficient windows can improve insulation and curb energy costs. The ROI for this project can reach around 70-80%.
- Solar panels: Instaling solar panels in strategic parts of your roof can be a gamechanger for your electric bill but also for a possible buyer. Every day they become cheaper and the opportunity gets bigger!
- Upgrade to Energy-Efficient Lighting: Swapping out traditional incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient LED or CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) bulbs is a simple and cost-effective way to save on electricity costs. Energy-efficient bulbs consume significantly less energy, emit less heat, and have a longer lifespan. They are available in various color temperatures and styles to suit your preferences. Additionally, consider installing motion sensors or smart lighting systems that can automatically turn off lights when rooms are unoccupied, further reducing energy consumption.
Outdoor Living Spaces
- Deck or Patio Addition: Adding a deck or patio to your backyard can extend your living space. It’s an excellent DIY project that can provide an ROI of around 70-80%. You can use a variety of materials, from wood to composite decking, depending on your budget.
- Outdoor Kitchen and Dining Area: If you love to entertain and enjoy outdoor cooking, consider installing an outdoor kitchen and dining area. An outdoor kitchen typically includes a grill, countertop space, storage, and sometimes even a sink or refrigerator. Combine it with a dining area that features a sturdy dining table and chairs, and you’ll have the perfect setup for hosting al fresco meals and gatherings. It’s a fantastic way to make the most of the warmer months and add a touch of luxury to your outdoor space.
Improving your home’s energy efficiency is not only good for the environment but also for your wallet. This is an improvement project that will add value to your home!
- Attic Insulation: Adding insulation in the attic can significantly improve your home’s energy efficiency. It’s a DIY-friendly project that can offer an ROI of about 70–80% and save on energy costs. Proper insulation helps maintain a comfortable temperature in your home year-round.
- Roof Replacement: Replacing your roof is a significant investment, Think carefully about the current state of your roof and even hire a professional to assess the possibility, Then choose the material, hire a professional installer and give a thought in the ROI, which usually is about 73% (Hanley Wood Media, Inc., 2020)
Basement Conversion for your home
If you have an unused basement, this will be an improvement project that will add value to your home; it’s an untapped resource for adding profit!
- Convert the Basement: Basements can be converted into various usable living spaces, such as a home office, entertainment room, or guest bedroom. This project can provide an ROI of around 50-75%. Proper insulation and finishing will make the space more attractive and functional.
Fresh Paint and Small Touch-Ups to add value
Sometimes, the most significant impact comes from the simplest changes.
- Fresh Paint: A fresh coat of paint on walls and ceilings can breathe new life into your home. It’s a cost-effective project that can generate an ROI of 50–80%, depending on the quality of the work. Choose neutral, universally appealing colors to broaden your home’s appeal to a wide range of buyers.
In conclusion, these improvement projects that add value to your home are accessible to anyone and can significantly increase the value of your home. While ROI estimates vary based on location and market conditions, there’s no doubt that a well-maintained and updated home is more likely to attract buyers and sell at a higher price.
Prioritize the projects that align with your budget and the unique needs of your home. Ultimately, the goal is not only to increase your home’s value but also to create a more attractive and comfortable living space for you and your family. So, roll up your sleeves, pick a project that excites you, and get started on your journey to a more valuable and enjoyable home!
- Hanley Wood Media Inc. 2020, “Cost vs. Value 2020.” Hanley Wood Media, Inc.
- Houzz. 2022. “2022 Houzz & Home,” Overview of U.S. Renovation in 2021 and 2022″ 2022 Houzz &Home Link here.
Back to Blog